With a year-long design foundation studies that precedes eight undergraduates programmes; its nineteen postgraduate programmes, and a newly launched doctoral programme. NID’s professional educational programmes’ are designed not only to prepare students for practice in industry, but also for entrepreneurship.
The National Institute of Design (NID) is a design school in Ahmedabad with campuses in Gandhinagar and Bengaluru .
The other NIDs are in Kurukshetra (Haryana) , Vijayawada (Andhra Pradesh) and Jorhat (Assam) and National Institute of Design, Madhya Pradesh at Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh). The institute functions as an autonomous body under the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India.
NID Entrance Exams
NID conducts a two stage entrance exam,
NID Design Aptitute Test (DAT), to select candidates for admission to its B.Des, M.Des and GDPD courses.
NID DAT is further divided into two stages:
- NID DAT Prelims is conducted in stage 1
This stage 1 examination is a pen and paper based written test, aims to evaluate the candidate's visualisation skills, creative & observation skills, knowledge, comprehension, analytical ability etc. This test is a mix of subjective and objective type questions and holds a weightage of 30% in the total scheme of examination
- NID DAT Mains is conducted in stage 2.
Shortlisted candidates from Stage 1 are invited to appear for Stage 2 exams.
Step 2: Application Form
Step 3: Upload Documents
Step 4: Payment and Print
Online Registration Starts
7th October, 2021
Online Registration Closes
30th November, 2021 (4pm)
DAT Prelims Admit Card release
23rd December, 2021
DAT Prelims Exam
2nd January, 2022
All applicants applying for the B.Des. programmes must fulfill criteria of both age and education qualification.
- For Indian Nationals in General Category and General EWS Category: Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 2002 are eligible to apply for admission.
- For Indian Nationals in Reserved Category (Other Backward Class-Non Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL), Scheduled Caste (SC) & Scheduled Tribe (ST)): Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 19979are eligible to apply for admission.
- For Indian Nationals in PwD Reserved Category: Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 1997 are eligible to apply for admission.
- For Foreign Nationals in Overseas (Supernumerary) Category: Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 2002 are eligible to apply for admission.
Applications for academic year 2022-23 are open to applicants who have passed or will appear for higher secondary (10+2) qualifying examinations in the academic year 2020-21 in any stream (Science, Arts, Commerce, Humanities, etc.) from any recognised board of education such as CBSE, IB, ICSE or their equivalent
The four-year-long Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) programme is offered only at NID Ahmedabad in the following areas of specialisation:
Faculty of Industrial Design
Faculty of Communication Design
Faculty of Textile,
Apparel, Lifestyle and Accessory Design
More Details- Click Here