National Institute of Design (NID) at Ahmedabad and at its Bengaluru and Gandhinagar campuses is an ‘Institute of National Importance’ as per the NID Act 2014 as well as an autonomous institute under the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP), Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India. As per the NID Act (18 of 2014), the institute is a statutory authority empowered to award its own degrees—Masters of Design (M.Des.) of two-and-a-half year duration and Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) of fouryear duration. (The Institute is also a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU)).
National Institute of Design (NID) Entrance Examination is conducted annually by NID Ahmadabad for seeking admissions to various design courses at National Institute of Design, Ahmadabad, Gujarat.
Bachelor of Design (4 years)
Faculty of Industrial Design
- Ceramic & Glass Design (10 seats)
- Furniture & Interior Design (10 seats)
- Product Design (15 seats)
Faculty of Communication Design
- Animation Film Design (15 seats)
- Exhibition Design (10 seats)
- Film & Video Communication (10 seats)
- Graphic Design (15 seats)
Faculty of Textile, Apparel, Lifestyle and Accessory Design
- Textile Design (15 seats)
- For Indian Nationals in General Category: Upper age limit for candidates is 20 years as on 30 June 2019. Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 1999 are eligible to apply for admission.
- For Indian Nationals in Reserved Category (Other Backward Class-Non Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL), Scheduled Caste (SC) & Scheduled Tribe (ST)): Upper age limit for candidates is 23 years as on 30 June 2019. Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 1996 are eligible to apply for admission.
- For Indian Nationals in PwD Reserved Category: Upper age limit for candidates is 25 years as on 30 June 2019. Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 1994 are eligible to apply for admission.
- For Foreign Nationals in Overseas (Supernumerary) Category: Upper age limit for candidates is 20 years as on 30 June 2019. Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 1999 are eligible to apply for admission.
- Applications for academic year 2019–20 are open to applicants who have passed or will appear for higher secondary (10+2) qualifying examinations in the academic year 2018–19 in any stream (Science, Arts, Commerce, etc.) from any recognised board of education such as CBSE, IB, ICSE or their equivalent
How to Apply
Step 1: Sign up/Registration
Step 2: Fill the Online Application Form
Step 3: Uploading your Documents & signature
Step 4: Pay Application Fee & Print
- For Candidates paying ONLINE: You will be directed to the payment gateway. After completing the payment process, you will be redirected to the ‘Print’ section where you can save your form as a PDF file and print it. You are NOT required to send the print-out of your application form if you are paying online via debit/credit card.
- For Candidates paying OFFLINE: Prepare a Demand draft of the amount in favour of ‘All India Management Association’ payable at New Delhi. Fill in the details of the Demand Draft online to complete the submission process. Save the Application Form as a PDF File and print it. This should be done before 1400 hrs. on Friday, 09 November 2018.
- General/ OBC-NCL: 2000 INR
- SC/ST/Genral-PwD/OBC-NCL-PwD/SC-PwD/ST-PwD: 1000 INR
All candidates applying for B.Des and having made the necessary payment for registration online will be called for the Design Aptitude Test (DAT)
The Design Aptitude Tests will be conducted in two stages:
- Stage 1: Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Prelims
- Stage 2: Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Mains
About DAT Prelims:
- The B.Des. DAT prelims paper is a 3 hour test of 100 marks which evaluates the Design aptitude of the candidate. It comprises of a mix of objective and subjective questions.
- The question paper is in English.
- Based on the DAT Prelims scores, separate merit lists shall be prepared for each category (OPEN, OBC-NCL, SC, ST & PwD). Only shortlisted candidates will be eligible to appear for the DAT Mains exam as per the schedule announced.
About DAT Mains for B.Des./GDPD:
- Based on the scores obtained in the DAT Prelims, eligible candidates will be shortlisted for the DAT Mains.The DAT mains will consist of tests in multiple formats such in a studio set up. The tests will be conducted over two days.
- The total marks of the test will be out of 100.
- The tests will be conducted in English only.
The Admit Card for shortlisted candidates will be available for download only on the official NID admissions website (http://admissions.nid.edu).
Weightages of DAT Prelims & DAT Mains for final result
- DAT Prelims: 30% and DAT Mains: 70%
Test Centres for DAT Prelims
The DAT Prelims will be conducted in the following cities in India:
Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Dehradun, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Kurukshetra, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, New Delhi, Patna, Raipur, Ranchi, Thiruvananthapuram and Vijayawada.
Test Centres for B.Des Studio Test
The test centre will be at Ahmedabad or at all campuses of NID viz Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Gandhinagar, Kurukshetra and Vijayawada. Exact details of the Test Centre will be mentioned in the DAT Mains Admit Card. NID reserves the right to change the test centre.
For more information, click the link given below;
- Online Registration and Application process starts on: 1 October 2018
- Last date for submitting online application: 9 November 2018
- Last date for submitting online application with late fee: 19 November 2018
- Window to edit the application forms: From 1200 hrs on Tuesday, 20 November 2018 until 1200 hrs on Thursday, 22 November 2018
- Download Admit Cards for DAT Prelim: 17 December 2018
- DAT Prelims Exam: 6 January 2019
- DAT Prelims Result: 19 March 2019
- Download Admit card for DAT Mains: 1 May 2019
- DAT Mains result for B.Des: 31 May 2019