Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras invites applications for Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE) for the year 2018. IIT HSEE 2018 Entrance exam is conducted for admission to five year integrated Master of Arts (M.A.) programmes, commencing in the session 2018-19.
HSEE (Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination) is for admission to the five-year integrated Master of Arts (M.A.) Program at IIT Madras for admission in Integrated MA.
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras is an institute of national importance which offers quality education in Humanities, Sciences, Engineering, Management and Technology at UG / PG level.
HSEE 2018 is for admission into the two following courses:
- Integrated M.A. in Development Studies
- Integrated M.A. in English Studies
A brief description of each stream of the programme is given below.
- This stream addresses questions of “order and change” in a globalizing world and aims to explore available approaches to fostering development, understood broadly as the goal of providing people the freedom to make their lives better.
- It covers such topics as economic development, the role of the state and markets, globalization, inequality, poverty, gender relations, environment, conflict, new social movements, politics and institutions, urban studies, area studies and international relations, to name a few.
- Courses include those in economics, urbanization, gender studies and science and technology studies as well as advanced topics in political philosophy and social theory
- The English Studies stream has been designed for students with sensitivity for literary and linguistic analyses.
- It aims to introduce students to language, literary and cultural studies, with an emphasis on critical reading skills that would stand a student in good stead whatever he/she may eventually do in life.
- Starting with introductory courses in the basics of language and literature, the stream covers the masters of English literary tradition, as well as major writers from other traditions – Asian, African, Latin American and Continental.
- Academic Qualification: The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by a Central or State Board recognized by the Association of Indian Universities Candidates who have completed Class XII (or equivalent) examination outside India or from a Board not specified above should produce a certificate from the Association of Indian Universities to the effect that the examination they have passed is equivalent to the Class XII examination.
- Candidates belonging to the general category and OBC category must secure a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination. Candidates belonging to SC, ST and PwD categories must secure a minimum of 55% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination.
- Age: Candidates whose date of birth falls on or after October 01, 1993 are eligible for HSEE2018. However, in the case of SC, ST and PwD candidates, upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years, i.e., candidates belonging to SC, ST, and PwD and born on or after October 01, 1988 are eligible.
- Physical Fitness:Every qualified candidate will have to submit a Physical Fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the prescribed format that will be made available along with the letter of offer of admission.
- Candidates will be admitted only if they are physically fit for pursuing a course of study at the Institute.
- Admission to the programme will stand cancelled, if the proof of having passed the qualifying examination, as per the eligibility criteria specified in Section 13.2, is not submitted to the Institute latest by September 28, 2018.
- Admissions are subject to verification of facts from the original certificates/documents of the candidates. If an applicant is found ineligible at a later date even after admission, his/her admission will be cancelled. The decision of the HSEE-2018 admission committee regarding the eligibility of any applicant shall be final.
- A candidate must satisfy all the aforesaid eligibility criteria in order to be eligible for appearing in HSEE-2018 and admission.
Examination Cities for HSEE-2018
The entrance examination will be conducted in the following 14 cities"
Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Coimbatore, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi, Thiruvananthapuram, Varanasi.
How to Apply
Admission is solely through Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE).
The programme has a total of 46 seats; each stream will have 23 seats. Allocations of seats to individual streams will be made based on the academic performance of students (CGPA) during the first three semesters, students' preferences, and availability of seats under each discipline.
- Step 1: Fill the Online Application Form
- Step 2: Upload Scanned Images of Photograph, Signature and Relevant Documents
- Step 3: Pay the Examination Fee by Netbanking/Credit/Debit card or e-challan of Indian Bank
NOTE: Please read the guidelines carefully as mentioned in the link given below;
- Duration: 3 hours (Part 1 MCQs: 2.5 hours, Part 2 Writing: 30 minutes)
- Part I covers the following topics: (i) English and Comprehension Skill; (ii) Analytical and Quantitative Ability; (iii) General Studies covering the areas of Indian Economy, Indian Society and Culture, World Affairs ; and (iv) Environment and Ecology.
- Part II: requires the candidates to write an essay on general topic involving description, or/and reflection or/and discussion.
- Language of Question paper: English
For more infromation, click the link given below;
- Online Application process (HSEE website) - Starts: December 14, 2017
- Payment of Examination Fee through Indian Bank Challan / Net Banking / Credit Card / Debit Card - Starts: December 14, 2017
- Payment of Examination Fee through Indian Bank Challan / Net Banking / Credit Card / Debit Card - Ends: January 24, 2018
- Last Date for Submission of Online Application: January 24, 2018
- Application Status Check on the Website: February 16, 2018
- Admit Card can be Downloaded from the HSEE Website by Candidates – Starts: March 14, 2018
- Admit Card can be Downloaded from the HSEE Website by Candidates - Ends: April 14, 2018
- Examination Date for HSEE-2018: April 15, 2018
- Declaration of Result on HSEE Website: May 15, 2018
- Offer Letters to Candidates - Starts: May 16, 2018