The Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination or HSEE is a national level entrance test conducted every year by Indian Institute of Technology Madras for admission to the master programme offered by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) of the Institute. The test is completely computer based and is usually conducted in the second or third week of April in various cities across India. The HSEE started in the year 2006 coinciding with the launch of the M.A. programme at IIT Madras. This is the only test of its kind, which admits students to a five year integrated masters programme in humanities and social sciences subjects offered by an IIT.
About Development Studies
This stream addresses questions of “order and change” in a globalizing world and aims to explore available approaches to fostering development, understood broadly as the goal of providing people the freedom to make their lives better. This will entail studying the web of relationships humans have with each other and the physical world, which can serve both as a constraint and a source of enormous creativity and ingenuity for achieving sustainable development.
About English Studies
The English Studies stream has been designed for students with sensitivity for literary and linguistic analyses. It provides an understanding of literatures in English from around the world with special emphasis on current debates in literary theory, lesser-known literatures and the importance of an interdisciplinary approach. It aims to introduce students to language, literary and cultural studies, with an emphasis on critical reading skills that would stand a student in good stead whatever he/she may eventually do in life.
Starting with introductory courses in the basics of language and literature, the stream covers the masters of English literary tradition, as well as major writers from other traditions – Asian, African, Latin American and Continental.
For more information, click the link below;
- Integrated M.A. in Development Studies
- Integrated M.A. in English Studies
- Academic Qualification: The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by a Central or State Board or Any Public School, Board or University examination in India or in a foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Marks Obtained: Candidates belonging to the general category and OBC category must secure a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination. Candidates belonging to SC, ST and PwD categories must secure a minimum of 55% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination. Where only letter grades are mentioned in the grade sheet, the candidate should obtain a certificate from the Board specifying equivalent marks, and submit it at the time of joining. In case the candidate does not provide such a certificate, the decision of the HSEE admission committee regarding his/her eligibility shall be final.
- Age: Candidates whose date of birth falls on or after October 01, 1994 are eligible for HSEE-2019. However, in the case of SC, ST and PwD candidates, upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years, i.e., candidates belonging to SC, ST, and PwD and born on or after October 01, 1989 are eligible. The date of birth as recorded in the High School (10th std./12th Std.) first Board/ Pre-University Certificate will be taken as authentic. Candidates must produce a scanned copy of this certificate along with the completed Application Form as proof of their age and at the time of admission original certificate has to be produced failing which they will be disqualified.
To know more about HSEE click here:
How to Apply
- Step 1: Fill the Online Application Form
- Step 2: Upload Scanned Images of Photograph, Signature and Relevant Documents
- Step 3: Pay the Examination Fee by Netbanking/Credit/Debit card or e-challan of Indian Bank
- SC/ST/PwD: 1200
- All Others: 2400
HSEE-2019 has two parts: Part I and Part II.
- Syllabus for Part I consists of English (25% marks of Part I), Analytical and Quantitative Ability (25% marks of Part I), and General Studies (in four sub-parts; 50% marks of Part I).
- Part II involves essay writing.
For more information, click the link given below;
- Registeration for HSEE: Already Started
- Payment of Examination Fee: 12 Dec 2018 to 23 Jan 2019
- Application Status can be Checked from the HSEE website by Candidates: 13 February 2019
- Admit Card can be Downloaded from the HSEE Website by Candidates: 20 March 2019 to 21 April 2019
- Examination Date for HSEE-2019: 21 April 2019
- Declaration of Result on HSEE Website: 13 May 2019
- Offer letter can be downloaded from the HSEE website by Successful Candidates: 14 May 2019