Indian Computing Olympiad
Profile building is important. Figuring out what all need to be added to strengthen your profile is even more important. There are Olympiads, Competitions and Scholarships that you all are definitely aware of. But at the same time there are others which are not much talked about yet have carry significant importance with them.
One such Olympiad is the “Indian Computing Olympiad”. The goal of this competition is to identify school students with outstanding skills in algorithms and computer programming. An annual completion conducted by the Indian Association for Research in Computing Science aims at selecting four participants to represent India at the International Olympiad in Informatics.
Read below to find the details and the benefits of Indian Computing Olympiad.
- Open to all school students irrespective of their board
- No lower age for participation
- Every child till class 12th is eligible to participate
Registration is online and usually happens in the month of August. (Keep a check for latest dates for each year to ensure you do not miss out on form filling.)
Stage 1: Zonal Informatics Olympiad (ZIO)
- Written examination
- Logic based questions
- Alternate option is Zonal Computing Olympiad (ZCO) which is the online programming contest
Stage 2: Indian National Olympiad in Informatics (INOI)
- Programming competition round
- Two algorithmic problems are to be solved
- C++ is the only programming language allowed
- Time duration is 3 hours
30 students are selected from INOI for the International Olympiad in Informatics Training Camp (IOI TC) which is organized in the month of May mostly.
Several incentives in the form of admissions to reputed institutes are provided to the top students in the Indian Computing Olympiad. The list of institutes (Indian and International) includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- The Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo, Canada offers scholarships to IOI medalists
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology also has a scholarship scheme for IOI gold medalists
- Nanyang Technical University, Singapore gives admission without taking entrance exam
- National University of Singapore also gives special consideration for IOI medalists
- IIIT Hyderabad and Chennai Mathematical Institute, Chennai offer direct admission to students selected for IOITC
- Amrita University offers fully funded B.Tech Honors CSE program for students who perform well in ICO
- Online study material for ICO
- Preparatory material on CodeChef, weekly sessions also available
- Online problems at IARCS problems archive
- Be a member of the IOI community for in-depth details
Now that you know a lot about Indian Computing Olympiad, figure out whether your skills match the needs of the Olympiad and apply for the same.
All the Best!